Raj Kapoor (14 December 1924 – 2 June 1988), also known as "The Show Man", was a noted Indian film actor, producer and director of Hindi cinema. He was the winner of two National Film Awards and nine Filmfare Awards in India, and a two-time nominee for the Palme d'Or grand prize at the Cannes Film Festival for his films Awaara (1951) and Boot Polish (1954). His performance in Awaara was ranked as one of the top ten greatest performances of all time by Time magazine. His films attracted worldwide audiences, particularly in Asia and Europe. The Government of India honoured him with the Padma Bhushan in 1971 and the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 1987 for his contributions towards Indian cinema., we present to you ten of his landmark films.
Top 10 Best Movies of Raj Kapoor
1. Aag (1948): Raj Kapoor started his career as a clapper boy but bagged his first film role at the age of 11. In 1948, he set up his own studio and made his first film, Aag. The film marked the debut of Raj Kapoor as producer and director and was the first film produced under the RK Banner. Aagwas also the first film in which Raj Kapoor and Nargis acted together.
2. Barsaat (1949): Raj Kapoor was only 25 when his directorial venture Barsaat won him recognition. It was one of the first major superhit films directed by him.
3. Awara (1951): The actor-director's next venture Awara was a fascinating movie about a man caught in the centre of a nature-versus-nurture debate. The film not only did well in India, but was also hugely appreciated in South Asia, the then Soviet Union, East Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. The title track Awara Hoon also became a chartbuster. Awara was also nominated for the Grand Prize at the Cannes Film Festival in 1953.
4. Shree 420 (1955): Raj Kapoor effectively used the Chaplinesque character of Awaara in Shree 420, that tracks the journey of an innocent man coming to the big bad city to make his fortune. Shree 420 is also remembered for its songs, especially the love track Pyaar Hua Ikraar Hua.
5. Chori Chori (1956): Raj Kapoor played the role of a journalist to perfection in this flick, which was inspired from the Hollywood movie It Happened One Night. Chori Chori brought more fame to Raj Kapoor's illustrious acting career. The movie was later remade as Dil Hai Ki Manta Nahin by Mahesh Bhatt.
6. Anari (1959): Anari was the story of a young man, who refuses to compromise his moral values for either love or money. Nutan played the female lead in the movie. Raj Kapoor won the Filmfare Best Actor Award for this movie.
7. Sangam (1964): Directed by Raj Kapoor, Sangam, the love triangle starring Vyjayanthimala and Rajendra Kumar along with Raj Kapoor, was his first colour movie. The movie's thunderous success triggered off a trend amongst the Indian filmmakers to shoot abroad.
8. Bobby (1973): Raj Kapoor took the risk of making Bobby with two newcomers Dimple Kapadia and his son Rishi Kapoor. The movie, which introduced the genre of teenage romance in Bollywood, became a huge hit.
9. Satyam Shivam Sundaram (1978): Even though Bobby's stellar success was not duplicated by Raj Kapoor's next venture Satyam Shivam Sundaram, but the director shifted his focus to female protagonists with this movie. The movie is remembered for its songs, cinematography and of course the leading lady Zeenat Aman's bold act.
10. Ram Teri Ganga Maili (1985): Ram Teri Ganga Maili was Raj Kapoor's last film as a director and it starred Rajiv Kapoor and Mandakini. The movie became a huge hit as did its songs.